Luck Slot 3.0

Threads: 21
Thanks Received: 44
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Auto-life
Patch: Luck Slot 3.0

Hello.

I updated the Luck Slot patch from version 2.0 to 3.0. It unrigs and changes the algorithm of the "slot" command. It now uses a new algorithm that associates each symbol with three spells/action. Please check the description in the link if you are interested in the details.
  Find
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to HatZen08 for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (01-27-2024), jack5881 (02-01-2024), Lightning (07-06-2024), SSJ Rick (Yesterday)

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Just though you'd like to know that I'm using this great patch for the upcoming version 2.0 of my hack (just with different spell selections). Also, in case someone else wants to use it and has a FF3 1.1 ROM like I do, these addresses need to be changed to the following:

Code:
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
;unrig reel
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------

org $c17f2f
     stz $6179          ;rigging flags
warnpc $c17f32

org $c17f5b
     lda #$00           ;nulls rigging
warnpc $c17f5d

org $c17f9a
     lda #$00           ;nulls rigging
warnpc $c17f9c
  Find

Status
None
I was wondering if I could make a request, if the coding isn't too difficult. Is it possible to guarantee that if you get two icon matches, that you will always get the attack from those two icons? If I understand how this works, if you were to get, say, one chocobo and two sevens, the game has a 1/3 chance of the Chocobo spell #1 being used and a 2/3 chance of the Seven #2 spell being used, right? sometimes this feels like you are being cheated when the game picks the one icon you didn't match instead of the two icons you did match!
  Find

Status
Auto-life
Ok. I will check the code this week to see if i can make an alternative version. I will report in the next weekend.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to HatZen08 for this post:
  • Lightning (07-17-2024)

Status
Auto-life
I updated the "Luck Slot" patch to version 4.0. You can download it here: Luck Slot 4.0.

Based on feedback I changed the algorithm. It will now choose the symbol based on quantity. If you have three or two equal symbols
it will trigger the associated spell with appropriate rank.

I also removed the randomization for three different symbols. In this case it will now choose the first slot symbol instead of a random one.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to HatZen08 for this post:
  • Lightning (Today)

Status
None
Already liking this better. I think the behavior is more along the lines of what you would expect to see if you didn't read the documentation. The player should also see powerful moves more often, which I think is important to make Setzer's Slots actually useful!
  Find